Achieving that ideal state politically means more than having the right intellectual foundations and a will to achieve the right things — it means organizing for political success.
This brief introduction is meant to be suggestive, rather than prescriptive. More planning and collaboration will be necessary to establish anything like a definitive architecture of a political organization, action committee, or party.
The premier interconnected conservative organization of the 21st century must take into account six organizational imperatives:
1. Network the Hierarchy: To lead the continuous transformation of the political landscape, disparate groups of conservatives must transform into a networked hierarchy with an elected top-down hierarchical structure for accountability while working with a bottoms-up network structure for agility.
2. Manage Political Value Streams: No different than the value streams of business, political value streams cut across functions and even political boundaries and are the key to meeting constituent wants. This means team-based networking across hierarchical boundaries, internally and externally, to optimize knowledge, information, data, work, and value flows.
3. Fuse the Tribes: Conservatives of all backgrounds need to come together and engage in learning, knowledge sharing, and activity. This fusion is likely to unfold in two stages, creation of a virtual organization, which in turn, plans a transition to an actual organization (though it may be worthy to consider that the virtual organization is sufficient due to a lack of centralized resources).
4. Constant Learning: This new organization must be dedicated to the disciplines of knowledge, learning, change, and improvement. Conservatives must have the shared purpose of mastering political problem solving while learning in the flow of working in politically complex operational environments.
5. Mobilize the Activists: Required are both existing sources of bottoms-up and peer-to-peer engagement and creativity (like online communities, discussion forums, message boards, etc), and new sources like those made possible by social media, self-organizing mobilization of disparate groups, and constructs like an accelerator network.
6. Integrated Governance and Architecture: Effective political management means efficiently processing inputs and possessing the capability and capacity to make decisive decisions that are aligned to long-term and strategic political objectives. To do that, it is important to create and sustain nested, agreed-upon, and documented business, performance, knowledge, learning, information, and data governance architectures. Everything must synchronize.
If you consider yourself to be a conservative now is not the time to overwhelmingly criticize other conservatives with whom you slightly disagree with. We need find common ground on the big issues and start with Step 1 above.